While many of us spend time daydreaming about packing a bag, boarding a plane and going on a big adventure, there are some very lucky people who actually get to travel for a living. Fortunately they are happy to share their experiences traveling the world with those of us who are still planning our next trip. These travel experts have found some of the best places to stay, eat and explore around the globe. Follow them on Twitter and live vicariously, or better yet, use their expertise to help ensure your next trip lives up to your dreams.
1. @RickGriffin: Travel enthusiast Rick Griffin is the co-host of the Midlife Road Trip Show where he shares his adventures on the road. He was a featured panelist for BlogWorld 2010, selected for Princess Cruises “Follow Me at Sea” Twitter cruise and selected to attend the NASA shuttle launch and Tweetup.
Tweets: 55,383 | Followers: 38,188 | MMI Rank: 225 | Stars: 5
2. @olv: Travelers with an interest in getting a glimpse of celebrities follow On Location Vacations, a blog that shares information about television and movie filming locations, as well as celebrity events. Posts range from the first sighting of the latest Iron Man costume to celebrity run-ins and movie reviews. You’ll also learn how you can stay at the hotel featured in Veronica Mars!
Tweets: 59,895 | Followers: 33,397 | MMI Rank: 226 | Stars: 5
3. @EverywhereTrip: Gary Arndt writes Everywhere Trip, a travel blog chronicling his experiences on all 7 continents, in over 116 countries and territories. Arndt has visited over 100 US National Park Service sites and over 150 UNESCO World Heritage Sites. During his travels, Arndt experiences the local ‘must-do’ activity, and his adventures include getting caught in the middle of an active war zone in Cambodia and floating in the Dead Sea.
Tweets: 37,213 | Followers: 111,728 | MMI Rank: 290 | Stars: 5
4. @eatlikeagirl: Combining her two main passions, foodie and traveler Niamh Shields shares her best eats recommendations for the places she has visited on her blog EatLikeAGirl.com. Author of Comfort & Spice (New Voices in Food), Shields takes her inspiration from visits to destinations including South Africa, New Zealand, Japan, Sweden, and Italy.
Tweets: 92,273 | Followers: 20,336 | MMI Rank: 300 | Stars: 5
5. @EliteTravelGal: Award winning travel expert Stacy Small is founder of Elite Traveler Magazine, a publication of luxury travel firm Elite Travel International. Small shares her expertise garnered from fifteen years of traveling to hundreds of destinations, including her thoughts on hotels, cruises, airlines and more. She is a resource on new properties and emerging destinations for travelers who love luxurious getaways.
Tweets: 49,964 | Followers: 31,576 | MMI Rank: 310 | Stars: 5
6. @Brendanvanson: Canadian travel writer and photographer Brendan van Son writes about his travels on Brendan’s Adventures and video blogs on It’s My Life 365. His philosophy is the real lessons about the world can only be learnt from traveling and setting out to discover amazing things!
Tweets: 49,546 | Followers: 32,582 | MMI Rank: 311 | Stars: 5
7. @SandiMcKenna: Sandi McKenna shares her experiences traveling to new cities, tasting amazing food and ticking things off of her Bucket List on the video blog MidLifeRoadTrip.tv. Along with co-host Rick Griffin, McKenna thinks the best medicine for a mid-life crisis is a road trip. She shares her adventures on her Twitter feed and personal blog, Observations and Reflections.
Tweets: 68,671 | Followers: 20,817 | MMI Rank: 346 | Stars: 5
8. @Marilyn_Res: Marilyn Terrell is chief researcher for National Geographic Traveler and contributor to the Intelligent Travel column in National Geographic. Her Twitter feed is a great resource for travel advice, great photographs and links to articles on amazing experiences abroad.
Tweets: 47,594 | Followers: 27,368 | MMI Rank: 375 | Stars: 5
9. @AboutLondon: Londoner Laura Porter is a travel expert who writes on London for About.com and Laura’s London. She has also done research for various travel guides and publications. Porter was part of the volunteer cast for the London 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony and shared her experiences throughout the show.
Tweets: 61,304 | Followers: 20,135 | MMI Rank: 397 | Stars: 5
10. @skimbaco: Blogger and businesswoman Katja Presnal founded SkimbacoLifestyle.com, an online magazine featuring a comprehensive collection of articles on various lifestyle related topics. Skimbaco Travel shares the best hotels, food and amazing experiences in various locales across the US, Europe and beyond.
Tweets: 36,897 | Followers: 32,300 | MMI Rank: 541 | Stars: 5
* Number of tweets and followers are based on data collected on the date the article was written.
1. Click on the Social Media Module. On this page, under the ‘Twitter’ column, click on ‘Beats/Focus’. In the pop-up box that appears, enter ‘travel’ and click on ‘Go’.
2. Now, select the sub-level beat ‘Vacations & Travel’ under the top-level beat ‘Lifestyle & Society’, and click on ‘OK’.
3. You will now see a display of the number of results from this search. Click on “Get Results” to view the list.
4. To rearrange the list in a descending order of Rank, click on the column called “Rank”. Remember, the smaller the number, the more influential the Twitter handle.