The blog has shown an upward growth curve since the day it started in Pete Cashmore‘s room a few years ago. Mashable has overtaken TechCrunch to become the ultimate authority on all things techie. It has a reported 5+ million monthly page views and an Alexa ranking around 1200. This little blog from Scotland beat the former Tech-King by 36,768 page views in May, to become the first best blog on Technology, social media, and Internet news.
So, what makes Mashable so lovable?
1. Frequency of Posts: Mashable posts an average of 10 or more posts per day! There is information in there for everyone everyday! Subscribe to Mashable on your Google Reader and you’ll see what we’re talking about!
2. Varied Authorship: Mashable has 7+ contributors, all of whom are young and enterprising people with a passion for technology and information. The posts reflect their youth and spirit.
3. Content: The content of the blog is solid and informative. Posts are brief, analytical, and filled with usable information. The facts are accurate and current, and the sources reliable. They have updates on all social media sites (popular and lesser-known), Google, business, travel, games, and all the popular blogging sites, plus lots more! What more could you want from a news blog?
4. How-Tos: Mashable has numerous sections on search-engine friendly How-Tos. They have advice on everything from ‘How to get retweeted’ to ‘How to get the most out of Google Maps’.
5. Twitter presence: Mashable is the top shared site on Twitter after Techmeme. The posts contain the hottest topics on the social media forum and are spread all over Twitter’s Trending topics. Mashable posts also have a Retweet option. Almost all posts on Mashable are retweeted a minimum of 100 times or more. Also, Mashable has a sky-high number of followers compared to TechCrunch.
6. List posts: Mashable does a lot of list posts as opposed to TechCrunch. This makes the posts more readable and ‘tweet’able.
7. Comments: Mashable’s readers are from the social media and share everything with other readers. The comments on Mashable’s posts are equally informative and current.
All this, together with a well-structured blog layout and design, lots of fun offers and contests, give-aways, and Mashable events, make Mashable a social media force to reckon with.
Congratulations Mashable on your success!