Entertaining others through comedy and laughter has long been an important role. In medieval times the Court Jester was responsible for entertaining the royal court. In modern times we look to humorists to take our minds off of the stresses of our daily lives.Laughing is a sure fire way to improve a bad mood or chase away a case of boredom, but not everyone is lucky enough to have the gift of a great sense of humor. Stand-up comedians, humor writers and comedy actors to the rescue! While each of the funny folks on this list entertains us in their own way, from blogs to live shows, you can be sure they are all good for a laugh on Twitter.
1. @officialkojo: Kojo is a rising star in comedy and has been called “The Fresh Prince of Hackney”. He has appeared on the MTV Base network in a number of shows including The Fresh Prince of Hackney, The Young Gods of Comedy, and Kojo’s Comedy Funhouse. He also owns a production company and maintains his website OfficialKojo.com.
Tweets: 45,889 | Followers: 43,782 | MMI Rank: 120 | Stars: 5
2. @DaveGorman: Dave Gorman is an author, stand-up comedian, photographer, and television host whose style of comedy is often referred to as “documentary comedy.” Gorman’s act focuses on real-life incidents that may seem exaggerated, but are always accompanied with evidence to prove their authenticity. He has won the title of Best One Person Show at the HBO US Comedy Arts Festival for his live performances and received many other nominations for his comedy.
Tweets: 34,519 | Followers: 206,104 | MMI Rank: 454 | Stars: 5
3. @edeckers: Erik Deckers widely read weekly newspaper humor column, Erik Deckers’ Laughing Stalk, appears in many newspapers and on the blog of the same name. Deckers also co-authored Branding Yourself: How to Use Social Media to Invent or Reinvent Yourself and Twitter Marketing for Dummies. His play “Cabin Fever U” was named Best Comedy in the 2005 Frank & Katrina Basile Emerging Playwrights competition.
Tweets: 30,429 | Followers: 12,055 | MMI Rank: 873 | Stars: 5
4. @AllanCavanagh: Irish cartoonist and caricaturist Allan Cavanagh’s work has appeared in The Connacht Tribune and on his personal blog Caricatures Ireland. Cavanagh is also an accomplished sculptor who was a lead artist for the 2002 National Sculpture Day for the Sculptors’ Society of Ireland.
Tweets: 76,713 | Followers: 3,859 | MMI Rank: 959 | Stars: 5
5. @nikkiwoods: Nikki Woods wears many hats including television personality, producer, media consultant, and author. As a contributor for the Tom Joyner Morning Show, Woods provides info-tainment on weekend events and activities. Her podcast Women on the Go and her blog Mamas Gone Wild, showcase her wit and humor.
Tweets: 24,927 | Followers: 13,475 | MMI Rank: 1,407 | Stars: 5
6. @geektome: Elliott Serrano is a comic artist and freelance writer, as well as a columnist for a number of blogs. As a writer for the Chicago Tribune, Serrano shows his humor through “geek features’ like the RedEye’s Geek to Me column and blog.
Tweets: 41,133 | Followers: 3,827 | MMI Rank: 1,834 | Stars: 5
7. @BTLSRADIO: Bubba the Love Sponge Clem, born Todd Alan Clem, is the host of The Bubba the Love Sponge Show. Although Clem has been the center of several controversies for his remarks regarding celebrities and sexual references, he remains successful as his listeners tune in for his humor, his simple yet engaging approach to many non-traditional radio topics and his unique show content.
Tweets: 16,088 | Followers: 101,988 | MMI Rank: 1,881 | Stars: 5
8. @LeonRogers: Leon Rogers is a comedian who has appeared on Comedy Central and in the movies Tuskegge Airmen and Barbershop 1 and 2. He made his debut with Chicago’s All Jokes Aside Comedy Club and his success caught the attention of Cedric “The Entertainer” who included Rogers on his “Cedric The Entertainer Comedy Revue” comedy tour.
Tweets: 23,497 | Followers: 11,218 | MMI Rank: 2,306 | Stars: 5
9. @barefootfoodie: Barefoot Foodie is the blog of Brittany Gibbons, a writer and humorist who first gained notoriety for her humor blog. Now part of the humor podcast Brittany & Meredith Live, Gibbons also focuses her energy on the nationally recognized online magazine Curvy Girl Guide and has presented on beauty and body acceptance for TED. Gibbons was awarded the 2011 BlogHer Humor Voice of the Year.
Tweets: 16,326 | Followers: 7,246 | MMI Rank: 2,646 | Stars: 5
10. @nicoduretour: Nicolas Lacroix is a humor writer, musician and radio personality whose main interests are TV, film, video games, food and wine. He is also one of the contributors to Parent-Le Retour (Parents Return) where he shares his humorous insights into music, culture and more.
Tweets: 21,558 | Followers: 3,407 | MMI Rank: 2,887 | Stars: 5
* Number of tweets and followers are based on data collected on the date the article was written.
** If you are a MyMediaInfo client with access to the social media module, you can recreate this list using the easy steps below. To learn more about the social media module, click here.
1. Click on the Social Media Module. On this page, under the ‘Twitter’ column, click on ‘Beats/Focus’. This will bring you a list of Top-level beats.
2. Here, type in the search term ‘humor’, and click on ‘GO’.
3. Select the sub-level beat “humor” under the “Arts & Entertainment” category. Now click “OK”.
4. You will now see a display of the number of results from this search. Click on “Get Results” to view the list.
5. To rearrange the list in a descending order of MMI rank, click on the column called “MMI Rank”. Remember, the smaller the MMI Rank number, the more influential the Twitter handle.