Women, especially mothers, on social media make up one of the most powerful communities in the present age of information. They have very successful blogs, are active on Twitter, and lead discussions on most all products related to women, children, motherhood, medicine and health, and much more!
MyMediaInfo brings you a list of the top 10 Women tweeting about womanhood, motherhood, child-rearing, and related topics**. We have come up with the list through a unique rating method that takes into consideration the number of followers, tweets, overall popularity (retweets, lists etc.), relevance to the topic etc. Using these parameters and more, MyMediaInfo assigns a Score. An MMI Score of 1 is the highest possible. Furthermore, based on the MMI Score, a rating engine based on a 5 Star Rating System awards each Twitter handle a certain number of stars. Twitter handles with 5 stars are considered the most active, most influential in social media, and most relevant to their topics, in the MyMediaInfo database. Incidentally, the 5 Star Rating System is a new feature that has been released in the first week of August.
So, without further ado, here is the list of the Top 10 Twitter Moms
1. @phdinparenting – She is a mother of two children – a 6 year old and a 3 year old – and hence the PhD in parenting! @phdinparenting has an MMI score of 314, with 26,010* followers and 30,118 tweets at the time of writing this article. She tweets about her exploration of the art and science of parenting. In her twitter feed you will find humorous updates on her daily life, insights into parenting, discussions about products for children, and more. PhD In Parenting blogs at www.phdinparenting.com.
2. @CarissaRogers – She calls herself a ‘MOM of all trades”, and tweets about recipes, blogging tips, parenting fun, and about the store she is opening in August of 2010. Carissa Rogers has more than 36,158 tweets and 8,785 followers and is second on the top 10. Her blog posts on www.goodncrazy.com infuse humor with timely advice on things are varied as motherhood and photography!
3. @typeamom – This is Kelby Carr who has an MMI score of 355. To her 23,584 followers, she introduces herself as “Mom 2.0 empire builder, pioneer of social mom blog, influencer, speaker, Mom Blog SEO author, [and] social media consultant”. She has her own website – kelbycarr.com – where she talks about all things blogging, and about the Type-A Mom Conference, of which she is the founder and hostess. She also blogs at typeamomconference.com.
4. @bitofmomsense – Rebecca S from Ottawa Canada has 4,132 followers and 32,209 tweets to her credit, and has an MMI score of 421. Her twitter posts are full of interesting interactions with other moms on the twitter sphere on anything from food to the latest version of MS Office. Her insights into technology, cooking, shopping, travel, and caring for young children, fill up her blog posts on abitofmomsense.com.
5. @BOREDmommy – Coming in fifth on this list, Maria, a.k.a BOREDmommy is, as she says, is still trying to be the perfect mom. Nevertheless, her 29,039 tweets on her adventures with parenting (and related topics) have earned her 4,364 followers and an MMI score of 517. She blogs at mommymaria.wordpress.com, where she talks about humorous incidents from her childhood, and her love for shopping, books, and her kids.
6. @KatjaPresnal – Katja Presnal is the owner of SkimbacoLifestyle.com & SkimbacoHome.com. An Interior Design editor at LifetimeMoms.com, New Yorker, mom, wife, and avid skier, she tweets about everything related with her business and related activities, and throws in some of her personal experience as a mother. Her personal pages are an informative log on SkimbacoLifestyle and her work as a Community Manager for Collective Bias. She has 18,660 people regularly following her 22,640 and more tweets, and an MMI score of 525.
7. @CrunchyGoddess – Amy Gates is a mom of two, and passionate about home birth, green living, environmentalism, and Attachment Parenting. She plans to change the world, “one blog post at a time”! She has 6,823 followers who get a peek into her mind and life through her 25,671 tweets. They can also meet her at crunchydomesticgoddess.com, and at BlogHer, where she is a contributing writer. She is the owner of Attached at the Hip and Cute as a Bug – two online shops that sell clothing and products for moms and kids. Amy Gates has an MMI score of 577.
8. @Freebies4Mom – Heather is a mom and blogger, regularly updating the latest and hottest freebies for mothers on her blog Freebies4Mom.com. Her aim is to help moms save money through coupons, giveaways, sweepstakes, money-saving tips and more. Heather has 46,433 followers, and has tweeted 9,383 times, giving her an MMI score of 599.
9. @ModernMom – ModernMom.com is a magazine and community for women and moms. The tweets (all 7,465 of them) are about Celebrity parents, and delicious treats for little children and adults alike, and any current events going viral on social media. The community of ModernMom.com was co-founded by Brooke Burke and Lisa Rosenblatt. With 49,222 followers, @modernmom has an MMI score of 643.
10. @alizasherman – A successful businesswoman and the Original Cybergrrl, Aliza Sherman is a social media innovator and commentor. She talks about social media, entrepreneurship, marketing, and traveling on Twitter and in her blog alizasherman.wordpress.com. She is considered by many as a Thought Leader on social media. She also blogs at WorkItMom as Entrepreneur Mom. Aliza Sherman has 7,902 followers and has tweeted22,219 times, giving her an MMI score of 713.
* All number of tweets and followers are based on facts collected while the article was written.
**To recreate this list: If you are a customer of MyMediaInfo, and have access to the social media module of the database, then you can recreate this list using some easy steps.
1. Click on the Social Media Module, and then select ‘Twitter’ from the categories below the search field.
2. Now enter the keyword search “mom OR mommy OR mother”, and you will get the entire list of Twitter handles related with this search term.
3. Now, double click on the column called “MMI Score”, and the list will rearrange in ascending order. Remember, the smaller the MMI score number, the more influential the Twitter handle.
This article first appeared in the August 2010 issue of MyMediaNotes (MyMediaInfo’s monthly newsletter), and debuted the MyMediaInfo Top 10s Contest.